Deuteronomy 10:12-22 (NIV)
12 And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your 25own good? 14 To the Lord your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it.
15 Yet the Lord set his affection on your ancestors and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations—as it is today. 16 Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer. 17 For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. 18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner [the stranger] residing among you, giving them food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are foreigners [strangers], for you yourselves were foreigners [strangers] in Egypt.
20 Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. 21 He is the one you praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. 22 Your ancestors who went down into Egypt were seventy in all, and now the Lord your God has made you as numerous as the stars in the sky.
We Make Room for Strangers
The more we make room for strangers, the more we make room for God.
Ideas for practice: After you’ve prayed, use this FORMULA to practice:
- F: Ask questions about FAMILY. “How long have you been married?” “Where are you from? “How many kids do you have?”
- O: Ask questions about OCCUPATION/HOBBIES. ‘What do you like to do for fun?” “What do you do for a living?” “What prompted you to pursue your career?”
- R: Ask questions about RELATIONSHIPS & RELIGION. Explore if you have any mutual friends in town and beyond. Ask about their church experience, “What kind of exposure did you have to religion growing up?
- M: Ask opened ended questions about MEANING. I.e., “what are some big dreams in life?” “What’s the greatest lesson you’ve learned in your life?”
- U: Use
- L: Love
- A: Always
Follow Up Questions:
- Tell me more.
- What does that mean for you?
- How does that make you feel?
Active Listening Phrases
- So, if I’m hearing you right…
- You’re saying you feel…Is that right?
- You seem to be saying…
- I think I hear you saying….